• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Q&A Question regarding career path

Alan T.

Hello:

I earned a CPC certification about 2 years ago. I also have 9 years of customer service/sales. I have applied for numerous coding jobs in my area and have not had success in attaining a coding position. What positions in a hospital/physician office should I apply to to get my 'foot in the door' so I may be able to utilize my coding knowledge at some point in the future? Thank you.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Alan, do you attend your local chapter meetings? Make sure you are on the emailing list for the chapter, and be sure to ask the president of your chapter to email job openings to you (or everyone in the chapter). Our president seems to get notifications for job openings about once a week that she passes on to the chapter members, and though many are requesting 2 -3 years experience, there are some job openings that say "entry level" occasionally. Remember, just because they want a couple years experience does not necessarily mean they won't consider a less experienced coder. Other than that, check out anything that says "medical records" technician or clerk, or maybe even receptionist or scheduler, if you are willing to do that. Attend your chapter meetings and ask the other attendees where they work to get some more ideas for where to apply. Wishing you luck in finding a suitable job soon...